Mum emitted gas so poisonous it’s banned by the Geneva Convention

A mother was at risk of breaching the Geneva Convention and forced the evacuation of part of her street after suffering gas problems in her bathroom.
Dominique Heath realised something was seriously wrong when she felt a burning sensation in her nose and throat after unleashing the cloud of poisonous gas.
When she explained what had happened, a 999 operator told her to evacuate immediately.
Dominique Heath released a poisonous gas while cleaning her toilet (Picture: SWNS)
She unleashed a cloud of poisonous gas by mixing two household cleaning fluids (Picture: SWNS)
Dominique explained that problems started when her toilet became blocked.
The mother-of-three mixed three litres of bleach cleaner with another fluid and put it down her loo after it was clogged by her children putting a toy and too much toilet roll down it.
She was unable to clear the fumes so called for help from the fire brigade and was told to leave her house in Nailsea, Somerset, immediately.
Firefighters then cordoned off part of her street and put on gas masks so that they could enter her house.
Once inside they found that it was full of deadly chlorine gas, so poisonous that it’s use as a weapon of war is outlawed by the Geneva Convention.
Firefighters, who cordoned part of her street of in Nailsea, Somerset, had to wear gas masks to enter her house (Picture: SWNS)
After failing to clear the fumes she dialled 999 – and emergency services told her to evacuate her house immediately (Picture: SWNS)
Dominique shared her story online as a warning to others – ‘I have never experienced fumes like it,’ she said. ‘My throat and eyes feel burned.’
She and her family didn’t get back to bed and sleep until 5am the following morning.
Posting her story on Facebook, Dominique admitted feeling embarrassed at having to call the emergency services.
‘Never seen so many firemen in my life. Was so embarrassing. Street got cordoned off with red tape. I am hiding in my house today,’ she wrote.
‘It was really serious,’ she added. ‘We are all OK, but it was the dumbest thing I have ever done – please don’t do this!’
Dominique shared her story online as a warning to others (Picture: SWNS)
She realised something was wrong when she felt a burning sensation in her nose and throat. (Picture: SWNS)
 

Got a story for Metro.co.uk? If you have a story for our news team, email us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.